Egg in the basket is an egg fried in a hole of a bread slice.This recipe is known by many different names, like egg in the hole, bird's nest, egg in toast, egg in a frame etc.This is a tasty and fun way to get your breakfast protein and even picky eaters will enjoy this one!
- 1 slice – Bread (I used whole wheat bread)
- 1 no – Egg
- 1 tsp – Butter/oil
- 1 pinch – Salt (as needed)
- 1 pinch – Pepper powder(as needed)
- Cut a hole(square or circle) in the middle of a bread slice. To make a cool treat for the kids, you can also use fun shaped cookie cutters to cut out the shape in the middle.
- Heat butter in a frying pan,place a slice of bread on medium heat.Once bread turn in to slight golden brown turn it over, apply little oil and then drop the egg into the hole .
- Sprinkle little salt and pepper on the top of the egg. Once egg has cooked halfway through, flip the bread.Fry other side for a minute or two(until egg cooks).
- Sprinkle little cheese on the top and serve hot.
- Once you drop the egg in the hole, you need to allow them to cook. If you try to flip too early, the egg will simply drop out of the hole. So be patient.
- Always cook on a medium flame rather than high or low flame.
- You can also toast cut out pieces from bread. Kids love these.