I am very happy to present my 500th post today. At first, i must thank all my readers, followers and fellow blogger friends for their continuous support and encouragement to do better day by day. Thank you all.
Kadalai paruppu payasam is a perfect sweet for all occasions, which can be prepared ahead of time and served hot or cold.
Serves 4 to 5 people
- 1/2 cup - Bengal gram / kadalai paruppu
- 3/4 to 1 cup - Jaggery (or add as needed)
- 3 cups - Milk ( i used 2%)
- 1/4 tsp - Cardamom powder
- 10 nos - Cashew nuts
- 10 nos - Raisin
- 1 tbsp - Ghee
- Take a vessel, add powdered jaggery in a 1 1/2 cup of water ( or add enough water to cover jaggery) and bring it to a boil, cook until jaggery dissolves completely. When it boils, remove from flame and strain to remove all the impurities. Allow them to cool completely and keep it aside.
- Take a hard bottomed vessel, add milk and bring it to boil. Reduce the flame to low and allow them to cook until milk reduce to 2 1/2 cup in volume. Keep it aside.
- Meanwhile heat ghee in a pan, roast cashew nuts and raisins until they are slightly golden brown in color. Set aside.
- Heat a pan, dry roast bengal gram / kadalai paruppu until it turns into slight golden brown. Then add enough water to it and pressure cook for up to 3 whistles or until they are well cooked.
- Open the pressure cooker and mash the dal to a coarse paste. Now add boiled milk, cardamom powder, mix well and bring it to boil. Cook until it reaches consistency of payasam.
- Finally add jaggery syrup and roasted cashew nuts and raisins. Switch off the stove immediately and serve cold or hot.
- Do not mash cooked kadalai paruppu to a fine paste. It should be coarse paste.
- After adding jaggery syrup immediately switch off the stove. Do not boil it again otherwise milk will get curdled.
- Payasam gets thick after sometime. To bring it to right consistency you can add enough warm milk or cold milk before serving.
- To avoid curdling of milk, i keep jaggery syrup in refrigerator for a while and add it to the payasam.