Pappu puvva with ghee on top, oh that is delicious and heavenly feeling. Paruppu masiyal is a simple sidedish for rice and even for chappathi. Serve it with hot rice, ghee, pickle and appalam. Especially kids will love this for sure and it is healthy too.
Serves 3 to 4
- 1/2 cup – Paasi paruppu / Split green gram / moong dal
- 2 clove – Garlic
- 1/4 tsp – Turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp – Sesame oil
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp – Oil
- 1/4 tsp – Mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp – Split black gram / Ulunthu
- 2 to 3 nos – Dry red chillies
- 4 to 5 nos – Fresh curry leaves
- 1/8 tsp – Asafoetida
- Wash paasi paruppu / moong dal for 2 to 3 times and keep it aside.
- Pressure cook paasi paruppu along with turmeric powder, garlic and sesame oil, for 3 to 4 whistles or until well cooked. Switch off the stove and allow them to cool completely.
- Once cooled, mash it nicely with a back of the spoon, usually it is done with wooden tool called mathu. Add required salt and mix well.
- Finally season it with mustard seeds, ulunthu, dry red chillies, curry leaves and asafoetida. Serve with hot rice with ghee and pickle.
- You may add little jeera / cumin seeds for extra flavor but original recipe does not use it.
- Masiyal / kadaiyal should be slightly thick but not too thick.