Wish you all a very Happy Pongal
Kalkandu pongal / sugar candy pongal is a sweet prepared with rice and sugar candy/ kalkandu. Here comes the recipe.
- 1/2 cup - Raw rice
- 1 tbsp - Split green gram / moong dhal / paasi paruppu
- 3/4 cup - Sugar candy / kalkandu
- 1/2 cup - Milk (room temperature)
- 1/4 cup - Ghee (or add as needed)
- 1/8 tsp - Cardamom powder
- 10 nos - Cashew nuts
- 10 nos - Raisin
- 1 1/2 to 2 cup - Water
- Heat ghee in a pan, fry cashew nuts and raisins to a golden brown color, set aside.
- Grind sugar candy / kalkandu in a mixer grinder to a smooth powder, set it aside.
- Take a pressure cooker, add 1/4 tsp ghee and roast the a split green gram/moong dal. Then soak raw rice and roasted moong dhal in enough water for 30 mins. Pressure cook rice and dhal until well cooked.
- Once rice and dhal mixtures is cooked, mash it nicely. Now add milk and once again mash it.
- Add ground sugar candy / kalkandu and stir it continuously over medium heat.
- Add cardamom powder along with ghee and cook for 5 minutes. Finally add fried cashew nuts and raisin along with ghee, mix well. Serve hot with ghee on top.
- Adding milk in this recipe helps the pongal to stay soft for long time.
- Soaking rice and dhal in this recipe is completely optional.