Rasavangi is a stew made using Pumpkin / Brinjal. Goes well with white rice and appalam. Here is my way of making rasavangi using white pumpkin.
- 1/2 cup – Red gram (thovaram paruppu/toor dhal)
- 1 1/2 cup - White pumpkin (chop in to cubes)
- 1 no – Tamarind (gooseberry size)
- 1/4 tsp - Turmeric Powder
- Salt as per taste
- 1 tbsp – Oil
- 4 or 5 nos – Dry red Chillies(as per taste)
- 2 1/2 tbsp - Grated Coconut
- 1 1/2 tbsp - Coriander Seeds
- 1 tbsp – Bengal gram (kadala paruppu)
- 4 or 5 nos – Fresh curry leaves
- 1 tbsp – Oil
- 1/4 tsp – Mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp – Split black gram(ulunthu)
- 1 pinch – Asafoetida
- 4 or 5 nos - Curry Leaves
- Pressure cook red gram until soft. Soak tamarind in warm water for few mins and squeeze out the pulp. Set aside.
- Heat oil in pan, add red chilli, coriander seeds, bengal gram, curry leaves, grated coconut and fry until golden brown. Allow them to cool and grind it in the mixer to a smooth paste. Set aside.
- Take a deep pan, add chopped Pumpkin, water along with salt and turmeric powder cook till the pumpkin is cooked completely. Once the pumpkin is cooked, add tamarind juice and allow the mixture to boil till the raw smell of tamarind goes off .
- Add cooked red gram and ground paste and mix well. Allow them to cook for 5 mins and switch off the stove.
- Heat oil in the pan, season with items given for seasoning and add it to the cooked rasavangi. Pumpkin rasavangi is ready to serve.