Sepang kizhangu or taro root sambar is a simple sambar prepared with taro root and toor dhal that goes well with white rice and appalam.
- 2 nos – Sepang kizhangu / Taro root
- 1/2 cup – Red gram / Thuvaram paruppu / Toor dhal
- 2 nos – Green chillies
- 1/4 tsp – Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp – Red chilli powder
- 1 no – Tamarind (gooseberry sized) (soaked in 1/2 cup of water)
- 2 tbsp – Coriander leaves for garnishing
- Salt as needed
- 1 tbsp – Oil
- 1/4 tsp – Mustard seeds(kaduku)
- 1/4 tsp – Split black gram / Ulunthu
- 1/4 tsp – cumin seeds(seeragam)
- 2 pinch – Fenugreek seeds (venthayam)
- 1 pinch – Asafoetida
- 5 no – Curry leaves
- Wash and cook sepang kizhangu in enough water until well cooked. Allow them to cool and chop into big chunks. Set it aside.
- Wash and cook thuvaram paruppu along with turmeric powder and little sesame oil in enough water until well cooked. Set it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, season with items given in the list for seasoning. Add green chillies and chopped sepang kizhangu, fry for 2 mins.
- Add tamarind juice along with required salt, red chilli powder and turmeric powder, cook until raw smell goes off.
- Finally add cooked thuvaram paruppu and cook for 10 to 15 mins or until well cooked. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with white rice.