A watermelon contains about 6% sugar and 92% water by weight. It is a good source of vitamin C. This refreshing drink is served by roadside vendors all over Mexico. Not too much fruit, not too much sugar, just a beautiful way to quench your thirst on a summer day.
- 4-5 cups - Watermelon (seeded and cubed)
- 1 tbsp - Sugar/honey to taste
- 1- 2 tbsp – Lemon juice (as per taste)
- 1 cup – Water ( as required)
- Few mint leaves for garnish
- Crushed ice to serve
- Cut watermelon roughly into 1-inch cubes. In a blender or food processor, combine water, watermelon, sugar until smooth.
- Pour mixture through a strainer into a pitcher and then add crushed ice cubes, lemon juice and mint leaves. Serve cold.
- An authentic aqua fresca is made by mashing the fruit with a fork or masher before adding the water and sweetener instead of using a blender.