Broccoli is a plant in the cabbage family, whose large flower head is used as a vegetable. Broccoli is high in vitamin C, as well as dietary fiber; it also contains multiple nutrients with potent anti-cancer properties and small amounts of selenium.
- 2 cups – Broccoli florets
- 1 no – Onion (chopped finely)
- 1 tsp – Ginger garlic paste
- 2 pinch – Turmeric powder
- 1 1/2 tsp – Red chili powder (as needed)
- 1 tsp – Coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp – Mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp – Split black gram
- 1/4 tsp – Cumin seeds
- Salt as needed
- 2 tsp – Oil
- Wash and soak broccoli florets in warm water with salt for 10 minutes. Drain the water completely.
- Marinate broccoli with ginger garlic paste, turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder and required salt. Mix everything well together and let it set for 5 minutes.
- Steam broccoli for 2 to 3 minutes in idly cooker or rice cooker (steamer plate). Keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, Splutter mustard seeds, split black gram and cumin seeds. Add onion saute until transparent and now add steamed broccoli; mix well and fry for few seconds or until broccoli cooks.
- Switch off the stove and serve hot with white rice and sambar.
- You can also pan fry broccoli directly instead of steaming. I used to steam since it has more flavor than pan fry.
- Do not over cook broccoli. Cooking broccoli in right consistency is more important in this recipe otherwise entire process will be spoiled.