Paasi paruppu / payatham paruppu payasam is made during festival. It is a simple and healthy payasam.
- 1/2 cup – Paasi paruppu (split green gram/moong dhal)
- 1/4 cup – Jaggery (as needed)
- 2 tbsp – Coconut grated
- 1/2 to 1 cup – Milk
- 1 no – Cardamom crushed
- 5 to 6 nos – Cashew nuts
- Water as needed
- 1 tsp – Ghee
- Heat ghee in a pan, fry cashew nuts and grated coconut each separately. Keep it aside. In the same pan, add paasi paruppu and fry until slightly golden brown. Do not let it brown too much.
- Pressure cook paasi paruppu,1/2 cup milk and required water for 3 to 4 whistles. Allow them to cool.
- Mash paasi paruppu and add powdered jaggery along with crushed cardamom mix everything well together and cook for 5 to 7 minutes over medium flame.
- Add the remaining milk and water (as per desired consistency) and let it cook for few seconds. Finally add fried cashew nuts and grated coconut to the payasam. Serve hot.