Drumstick is normally used to prepare sambar in south india. It also has medicinal value and popularly used in Siddha medicine. It was tempting me to prepare this dish when I saw very fresh drumstick in an Indian grocery store. It came out very well even when I tried for the very first time.
- 2 nos – Whole drumsticks (or 20 pieces)
- 1 no –Big onion(Chopped finely )
- 1 no – Tomato (Chopped finely )
- 1/4 tsp – Turmeric powder
- 1 1/2 tsp – Red chili powder
- 2 tsp – Coriander powder
- Salt as needed
- 11/2 cup – Water (add more if needed)
- 1 tbsp – Oil
- 1 tsp – Mustard seeds (kaduku)
- 1/2 tsp – Split black gram (ulunthu/urad dhal)
- 5 nos – Curry leaves
Preparation method :
- Heat oil in a pan, splutter mustard seeds,split black gram and curry leaves. Add onion, sauté until the onions become tender and then add chopped tomato cook for sometime.
- Now add drumstick pieces along with little salt; cover the pan with lid and cook until it is half done.Then add turmeric powder,red chili powder,coriander powder and sauté until raw smell goes.
- Next add 1 1/2 cup of water to this mixture; cover with lid and cook over medium flame until the drumstick cooks completely.Take off the lid and Keep frying until the masala turns slightly brown and dry . Switch off at this stage and serve as a side for white rice,paruppu(dhal) or sambar.
- You can increase the quantity of water if you think it is needed for drumstick to cook.