Potato Salna is a simple and tasty side dish that goes well with idly.
- 1 no – Potato (chopped finely)
- 1/2 no – Onion (chopped finely)
- 1 no – Tomato (chopped)
- 1 no – Green chili (slit open)
- 1 tsp – Ginger garlic paste
- 2 tsp – Red chili powder (as needed)
- 2 tsp – Coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp – Turmeric powder
- Salt as needed
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
- 2 tbsp – Coconut grated
- 1/2 tsp – Fennel seeds (perunjeeragam)
- 1/2 tsp – Cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp – Poppy seeds
- 2 nos – Cashew nuts
- 1 tbsp – Oil
- 1 no – Cinnamon
- 2 nos – Clove
- 1 no – Bay leaf
- 1 no – Cardamom
- 4 nos- Curry leaves
- Grind all the items given “for grinding” to a smooth paste. Keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, season with items given for seasoning. Add onion, ginger garlic paste, green chili and required salt; saute until golden brown. Next add tomato fry until oil separates.
- Add all the masala powders given in the list and fry until raw smell goes off. Now add chopped potato and required water for salna; bring it to boil and cook for 5 mins.
- Finally add ground paste and cook for 5 more minutes. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with idly.
- Salna consistency should be little watery.