Drumstick kootu / Murungaikkai kootu is a simply yummy side dish that goes well with puli kuzhambu or kara kuzhambu.
- 15 to 20 pieces – Drumstick / murungaikkai
- 1 no – Onion (chopped finely)
- 1/4 tsp – Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp – Red chilli powder
- 2 tbsp – Coconut grated
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp – Roasted bengal gram / pottukadalai
- 1/4 tsp – Fennel seeds / sombu
- 2 tsp – Oil
- 1/4 tsp – Mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp – Split black gram / ulunthu
- 4 or 5 nos – Curry leaves
- 1 pinch – Asafoetida
- Cook chopped drumstick pieces in enough water until 3/4 done. Set it aside. Reserve the drumstick water for later use.
- Grind coconut in a mixer grinder to a smooth paste. Set it aside.
- Grind roasted bengal gram / pottukadalai and fennel seeds to a fine powder, set it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, season with items given in the list for seasonings. Add chopped onion along with required salt, saute until translucent.
- Now add cooked drumstick pieces along with 1 cup of drumstick water, turmeric powder and red chilli powder, cook for 5 to 10 mins.
- Add coconut paste to it and cook for few more minutes. Finally add ground pottukadalai powder and cook for 5 mins.
- You can also use drumstick water (water in which drumstick is cooked) to make soup.