Ragi malt is a healthy drink prepared with ragi / finger millet, almonds, cashew nuts and saffron. Usually ragi malt is prepared with sprouted ragi / finger millet where ragi is sprouted and sun dried for few hours. Then dry roast them in a pan for few minutes, just to remove the excess moisture. Blend them in a mixer grinder / blender to a fine powder. You can store this powder in an air tight container in refrigerator for future use. Since i had freshly ground ragi flour from India, i used it for making malt. It is a healthy drink for all age groups.
- 2 cups – Milk (i used 2 %)
- 1 cup - Water
- 2 tsp – Ragi flour
- 4 nos – Almonds
- 4 nos – Cashew nuts
- 2 pinch – Saffron
- 1 no – Cardamom
- Sugar as needed
- Dry roast ragi flour for few seconds or until raw smell goes. Set aside.
- Grind almonds, cashew nuts, saffron and cardamom in a mixer grinder or blender to a fine powder. Set it aside.
- Meanwhile take a vessel, add milk and water, bring it to boil. Then add dry roasted ragi flour and mix well. Continue stirring intermittently to see that no lumps are formed, cook for 3 to 4 mins or until well cooked. If you see any lumps, just smash them with the back of a spoon to dissolve.
- Then add ground items along with enough sugar, bring it to boil. Filter them using strainer. Garnish with chopped almonds and serve hot or warm.
- You can replace saffron with orange food color.
- You can store this ragi and almond cashew powder in refrigerator in an air tight container for 1 to 2 weeks for ready to use.