Horse gram is also called as kollu paruppu or kaanam in southern districts of Tamilnadu. It has lot of health benefits like lowering cholesterol levels, helps relieve cold and cough, reducing weight. I made sundal out of this kollu paruppu and is a best evening tea time snack.
- 1/2 cup – Kollu paruppu / Horse gram / Kaanam
- 1 no – Onion (chopped finely)
- 2 tbsp – Coconut grated
- Salt as needed
- 1 tsp – Oil
- 1/4 tsp – Mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp – Split black gram
- 1/4 tsp – Cumin seeds
- 2 nos – Dry red chillies
- 4 or 5 nos – Fresh curry leaves
- 1 pinch – Asafoetida
- Wash and soak horse gram in enough water for upto 4 to 5 hrs or over night.
- Pressure cook horse gram in enough water for upto 5 or 6 whistles or until well cooked. Strain water completely and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, season with items given in the list for seasonings. Add chopped onion and required salt, saute until transparent.
- Add cooked horse gram and saute for 2 mins or until moisture is completely absorbed.
- Finally garnish with coconut grated and switch off the stove. Kollu paruppu sundal is ready.
- You can also add green chillies in this recipe while adding onion.
- You can add little garlic too.