This is one of my favorite chutney prepared by mom. It goes well with idly and dosai.
- 10 nos – Sambar onion / small onion
- 2 nos – Garlic
- 1/4 inch – Ginger
- 1/2 tsp – Split black gram / Ulunthu
- 1/2 tsp – Coriander seeds
- 3 or 4 nos – Dry red chillies
- 1 no – Tamarind (blueberry size)
- 2 tbsp – Coconut grated
- Salt as needed
- 1 tsp – Oil
- 1 tbsp – Sesame oil
- 1/4 tsp – Mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp – Split black gram / Ulunthu
- 1 pinch – Asafoetida
- 4 or 5 nos – Curry leaves
- Heat oil in a pan, fry split black gram and coriander leaves to slightly golden brown. Then fry dry red chillies followed by ginger, garlic, small onion saute until slightly golden brown. Allow them to cool.
- Grind sauteed items along with grated coconut and tamarind to a smooth paste. Check for salt and add it at this stage.
- Finally season with items given for seasoning. Serve hot with idly and dosai.