Today’s recipe is tofu masala dosai, a traditional South Indian dosai / dosa is stuffed with spicy tofu masala and served with some side dish. There is no need to prepare any side dish for this dosa. If you wish you may serve this dosa with coconut chutney or with any chutney of your choice.
Serves 3 to 4
For making Tofu masala:
- 350 gm / 1 packet – Extra firm tofu
- 1/4 cup – Green peas (fresh / frozen)
- 1 big – Onion (chopped finely)
- 1 big – Tomato (chopped finely)
- 1 tsp – Ginger garlic paste
- 1/4 tsp – Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp – Red chilli powder (or add as needed)
- 1 1/2 tsp – Coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp – Garam masala powder
- Coriander leaves chopped for garnishing
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp – Oil
- 1/2 tsp – Cumin seeds
- 1 pinch – Asafoetida
For making dosai:
- Dosai / dosa batter (as needed)
- Oil / ghee to drizzle
Making of Tofu masala:
- Once you open tofu pack, drain all water by squeezing them and rinse tofu well in a running water. Pat dry with kitchen towel or paper towel to remove excess water. Scramble tofu with hand and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, season it with cumin seeds and asafoetida. Now add the chopped onions along with little salt and fry till they become soft. Then add ginger garlic paste and fry for few seconds.
- Add chopped tomato and fry till the tomatoes become soft. Now add the turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder and garam masala, saute until raw smell of masala powder goes away.
- Add green peas and cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Then add the scrambled tofu and required salt, mix well and cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Tofu won’t take long time to cook, so keep eye on them. Finally garnish with coriander leaves and switch off the stove. Tofu masala is ready.
Making of Tofu masala dosai:
- Heat a dosa tawa, take a ladle full of flour and spread it like normal dosai as thin as possible.. Drizzle some oil around the sides and after it is slightly cooked, using spatula just rub it all over to make it flat.
- Once you see golden brown color, spread the tofu masala in the middle or all over the dosai. Fold and serve hot with coconut chutney or any other chutney of your choice.
- Squeezing tofu completely before cooking, helps to get rid of the raw smell from tofu.
- Tofu takes very less time to cook, so do not cook for long time.
- You may increase or decrease amount of red chilli powder as per your spice level.