Soya chunks or Soybean protein is a "complete protein" since it provides all of the essential amino acids for human nutrition. Soya chunk is popularly used as a substitute for meat. Amazingly soya chunks have protein content equal to that of the meat and contain no fat. Soya chunks are a healthy food for adults as well as kids. Soya chunks are very good for people who are suffering from diabetes, heart problems, high blood pressure etc.
Soya chunks easily absorb any flavours that you are cooking with. You can prepare a lot of recipes with soya chunks / soya nuggets, it is also fun and easy to cook.
- 1 cup – Soya chunks / soya nuggets / meal maker ( use as needed)
- Take a wide vessel, fill it with enough water and bring it to boil. Add soya chunks to boiling water and cook it until soya chunk doubles in its size (around 5 minutes).
- Drain water completely and show the cooked soya chunks in cold running water for 2 to 3 minutes. Squeeze out the water completely and use it in your dish either cut or whole or minced.
- Wash and boil soya chunks in water for 5 mins. Once done, soak cooked soya chunks in cold water for 2 mins and squeeze out the water, do it twice to get rid of the soya smell. Soya chunks are ready to cook.
- Place the soya chunks in a bowl and fill it up with enough hot water so that the soya chunks are completely immersed. Leave it aside for 20 minutes.
- After soaking in water, the soya chunks would appear double in volume. Squeeze all the water from the soya chunks. Soya chunks are ready to cook.
Recipes with Soya chunk / soya nuggets / meal maker:
- Soya chunk dum biryani
- Soya chunk podimas
- Soya chunk cutlet
- Soya chunk keema curry
- Soya chunk paratha
- Soya keema sandwich
- Soya vegetable kurma
- Soya chunk pepper fry (coming soon)
There are plenty of other recipes that you can make from soya chunks.
- Washing cooked soya chunks in cold running water for 2 or 3 times helps to reduce raw smell from soya chunk.
- You may use cooked soya chunks as it is or you may chop them or mince them and add it to your dish.