Biryani is always a favorite dish for every one. Usually we make biryani with basmati rice, for a change i made with seeraga samba rice. This recipe came out with good taste and aroma.
- 2 cups – Seeraga samba rice
- 2 no – Onion (medium,cut lengthwise)
- 1 no – Tomato (big one)
- 4 nos – Green chilies (slit open)(as needed)
- 1 no – Carrot (chopped,bigger size)
- 6 nos – Beans (chopped,bigger size)
- 1/4 tsp – Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp – Red chili powder (as needed)
- 1 tbsp – Curd
- Salt as needed
- 4 cups – Water
- 1 tbsp – Butter
- 1 tbsp – Oil
- 1 no – Cinnamon
- 1 no – Bay leaf
- 2 nos – Clove
- 1 no – Cardamom
- 1 no – Star anise
- 5 nos – Sambar onion
- 2 nos – Garlic
- 1 inch – Ginger
- 1 no – Dry red chili
- 1 handful – Mint leaves
- 1 handful – Coriander leaves
- 1 tsp – Fennel seeds
- 1 tsp – Cumin seeds
- 1 no – clove
- 1 no – Cinnamon (small piece)
- Wash and soak rice for not more than 30 minutes. Drain water completely and keep it aside.
- Grind all ingredients given for grinding to a coarse paste. Keep it aside.
- Heat butter and oil in a hard bottomed vessel, splutter all items given for seasoning. Add onion and green chili saute until golden brown and then add ground paste saute until raw smell goes.
- Add tomato cover with lid and cook for few minutes.Then add all vegetables again cover and cook for few more minutes.
- Add turmeric powder, red chili powder, curd along with required salt saute for few minutes. Cover with lid and cook until vegetables are half cooked.
- Add required water; bring it to boil and add rice. Cover with lid and let it cook until rice is 3/4 done.
- Take a big pan with half water in it and place it on stove over medium flame. Place the 3/4 cooked biryani vessel in it along with lid. Let it cook for about 25 to 30 minutes.
- Now vegetable dum biryani is ready.Serve hot with onion raita.
- You can also use pressure cooker to cook this biryani.
- You can use any rice like basmati rice, raw rice to cook this biryani.
- Use any vegetables of your choice.