Black bean rice is a very simple rice dish prepared with black beans and spring onion for extra flavour. Mild, slightly tangy and yummy rice, kids will enjoy them.
Serves 3 to 4
- 1 cup – Basmati rice (uncooked)
- 1/2 cup – Black beans
- 1 no – Onion (sliced lengthwise)
- 1 tsp – Ginger garlic paste
- 1 or 2 nos – Green chillies (slit open)
- 1/4 tsp – Pepper powder (freshly ground)
- 1/2 tsp – Lemon juice
- 1/4 cup – Spring onion chopped
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp – Ghee
- 1/4 tsp – Fennel seeds / Sombu
- 1/4 tsp – Cumin seeds / Jeera
- 2 pinches – Asafoetida
- Wash basmati rice and soak it for 20 to 30 minutes. Drain water completely and keep it aside.
- Take a pressure cooker, add soaked rice, 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 cups of water, required salt and 1 tsp of oil, cook for 1 whistle or until well cooked. Remove from fire and spread it in a plate, allow them to cool completely.
- Wash and soak black bean for 6 hours or overnight. Pressure cook them for 2 whistles or until well cooked. Do not over cook black bean, it should hold its shape even after cooking.Set it aside.
- Heat ghee in a pan, season it with cumin seeds, fennel seeds and asafoetida. Followed by onion and required salt, saute until they are slightly golden brown. Add ginger garlic paste and green chillies, saute for a minute.
- Now add cooked black bean and pepper powder as needed, mix well. Followed by cooked rice, lemon juice and salt if required, mix well thoroughly. Finally garnish with spring onions and serve with any sidedish of your choice like manchurian, onion raita etc.
- Do not over cook black bean as it will spoil the texture of rice.
- If you prefer you may add chopped green pepper or red pepper (capsicums), before adding black beans.
- If you are preparing this rice for your kids lunch box, then you may exclude green chillies.
- You can replace black pepper with white pepper too. I used freshly ground black pepper in this recipe.
- Do not over cook rice, it should hold its shape.
- Keep the flame in high while adding rice.