Dahi wale aloo is a yogurt based gravy prepared with potato and spices, which is very mild and slightly sour gravy.
Serves 3 to 4 people
- 3 nos - Potato (medium sized)
- 1/2 no - Tomato
- 1/2 cup - Curd
- 1 1/2 tsp - Ginger and garlic chopped
- 1 no - Green chilli
- 1/4 tsp - Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp - Red chilli powder
- 1 1/2 tsp - Coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp - Garam masala powder
- 1 tbsp - Coriander leaves chopped for garnishing
- 2 cups - Water
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp - Oil / butter
- 1/4 tsp - Mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp - Fennel seeds
- 1/4 tsp - Cumin seeds
- 1 no - Bay leaf
- 1 no - Dry red chilli
- 1 pinch - Asafoetida
- 4 or 5 nos - Curry leaves
- Wash and cook potato in enough water until well cooked. Allow them to cool completely, remove skin and chop them into big chunks. Keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, season with items given in the list for seasoning. Add chopped ginger garlic, tomato and green chillies, saute for few seconds. Then add cooked potato, required salt and all masala powder, saute until raw masala smell goes.
- Add 2 cups of water, bring it to boil and cook for 5 to 10 mins. Finally add beaten curd and cook for few seconds. Switch off the stove and garnish with coriander leaves. Serve with hot roti / chappathi.
- Curd should not be too sour because that leads to sour curry.
- Adjust red chilli powder as per your spice level.