Vendakkai curry or okra curry is a perfect side dish for hot rice, sambar and appalam. I saw this recipe in one of Ramsay’s best restaurant show, where an Indian restaurant shared this recipe. Everyone in my family love this curry whenever i prepare it.
Serves 3 to 4 people
- 2 to 2 1/2 cups – Okra / vendakkai
- 1 no – Onion (sliced lengthwise)
- 1 no – Tomato (chopped)
- 2 nos – Garlic (chopped)
- 1/4 tsp – Turmeric powder
- 1/2 to 1 tsp – Red chilli powder
- 1 1/2 tsp – Coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp – Garam masala powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp – Oil ( for sautéing okra)
- 1 tbsp – Oil
- 1/4 tsp – Cumin seeds
- 2 pinches – Fenugreek seeds
- 1 pinch – Asafoetida
- Wash and chop okra as shown in the picture. Heat oil in a pan, add chopped okra and fry for few minutes until stickiness goes, keep it aside.
- In the same pan, add oil and season it with cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds and asafoetida. Next comes chopped onion and garlic, saute until they are slightly brown.
- Followed by turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder and garam masala powder, saute until raw smell goes.
- Now add tomato and saute until mushy. Then add sauteed okra and required salt to the curry, mix well and cook until everything is well cooked. Switch off the stove and serve with hot rice.
- I used country okra / nattu vendakkai, which took long time to cook.
- Do not over cook okra while sautéing otherwise it will get mashed.