Nature has given us a lot of amazing things, one such thing is drumstick leaves that holds a lot of nutrition and medical properties. It is a simple stir fry curry with drumstick leaves, sambar onion, moong dhal and grated coconut.
Serves 2 to 3
Serves 2 to 3
- 3 cups – Murungai keerai / Drumstick leaves
- 2 tbsp – Split green gram / Moong dhal / Paasi paruppu
- 8 to 10 nos – Small onion / Sambar onion (chopped finely)
- 2 nos – Garlic (chopped)
- 1/8 tsp – Turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp – Grated coconut
- 1 pinch – Sugar
- Salt to taste
- 2 tsp – Oil
- 1/8 tsp – Mustard seeds
- 1/8 tsp – Split black gram / Ulunthu / Urad dhal
- 1/4 tsp – Cumin seeds / Jeera
- 2 to 3 nos – Dry red chillies
- 1 or 2 pinch – Asafoetida
- Take a vessel, add washed paasi paruppu/ moong dhal, turmeric powder and enough water to cook, bring it to boil. Let it cook over medium flame for 10 minutes (approximately) or until it is perfectly cooked, set it aside.
- Remove drumstick leaves from stalk and wash it thoroughly for 2 to 3 times to remove any dirt or sand.
- Heat oil in a pan, season it with items given in the list for seasoning. Add chopped onion and garlic, saute until translucent.
- Now add washed drumstick leaves, required salt and a pinch of sugar, saute for few seconds. Cover with lid and cook until drumstick leaves are tender and nicely cooked. Sprinkle little water here and then but do not add water than required.
- Finally add cooked moong dhal / paasi paruppu and grated coconut, mix well and switch off the stove. Serve with hot rice and any gravy or kuzhambu of your choice.
- Do not over cook moong dhal / paasi paruppu. It has to be perfectly cooked at the same time, you could be able to bite it.
- Always wash any greens or keerai for 2 to 3 times thoroughly inorder to remove any dirt or sand.