Rasam or Saaru is a South Indian soup, traditionally prepared using tamarind juice as a base, where as Lemon Rasam is a sour soup prepared with lemon juice and dal water (paruppu water). It goes well with hot rice and appalam.
- 1 tbsp - Lemon juice
- 1 no - Tomato (crushed)
- 1 or 2 nos - Green chillies
- 1/4 inch - Ginger (crushed)
- 3 pinches - Turmeric powder
- 1 cup - Thuvaram paruppu / toor dal water (only water not dhal)
- 1 1/4 cup - Water
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
- Salt as needed
- 1 tsp - Oil
- 1/4 tsp - Mustard seeds
- To get 1 cup of dal water: Pressure cook 1/4 cup thuvaram paruppu / toor dhal / red gram along with turmeric powder, 1 clove garlic and 1/2 tsp of sesame oil until well cooked. Remove water and leave the dal, Set it aside.
- Take a vessel, add crushed tomato, ginger, green chillies, turmeric powder along with required salt, bring it to boil.
- Then add toor dal water and once again bring it to boil. Switch off the stove, add coriander leaves and temper it with items given in the list for seasonings.
- Allow them to cool completely and then add the lemon juice, mix well. Adjust the lemon juice as per your taste. Delicious lemon rasam is ready, serve with hot rice.
- You can increase or decrease lemon juice as per your taste.
- Allow the rasam to cool completely before adding lemon juice. Do not add lemon juice when it is hot.