Curry leaves are nature's gift to us. It does not only add flavor to our dishes but also great for our health. Curry leaves chicken curry is a delicious and flavorful dish that goes well with hot rice and rasam.
Serves 4 to 5
- 1/2 kg – Chicken with bones
- 1 no – Onion (chopped finely)
- 1 tsp – Ginger garlic paste
- 1/4 tsp – Turmeric powder ( for marinating chicken)
- 1 tbsp – Coriander powder / dhania
- 1/4 tsp – Lemon juice
- 1/4 cup – Grated coconut
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp – Oil
- 5 to 8 no’s – Small onion / chinna vengayam / shallots
- 1 handful – Coriander leaves
- 1 handful – Curry leaves
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp – Peppercorns ( or add as needed)
- 1 no – Green chillies
- 2 tbsp – Sesame oil
- 1 no – Cinnamon stick
- 1 no – Cardamom
- 1 no – Clove
- 1/4 tsp – Fennel seeds
- Wash chicken thoroughly for 3 to 4 times then marinate it with turmeric powder and little salt. Keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, add small onion, coriander leaves, curry leaves, peppercorns and finally green chilli, saute for 2 minutes or until it is 3/4 done. Allow them to cool completely then grind them to a fine paste, set this aside.
- Grind grated coconut into fine paste and set it aside.
- Heat sesame oil in a pan, season with items given in the list for seasoning. Followed by chopped onion along with little salt, saute until they are slightly golden brown in color.
- Add ginger garlic paste, saute for a few seconds. Now add marinated chicken and saute well for 2 minutes. Then add coriander powder and ground green paste, mix well thoroughly. Cover with lid and cook for 4 to 5 minutes or until chicken is well cooked.
- Add coconut paste, 1/2 to 3/4 cup water and required salt, cook well thoroughly until you reach right consistency you want.
- Finally squeeze some lemon juice and switch off the stove. Karuvepillai chicken kuzhambu is ready, serve with hot rice or even with hot idli.
- Marinating chicken is very important to get soft and juicy chicken.
- You may increase or decrease the quantity of peppercorns as per your spice level.
- Always wash chicken in lemon juice once or twice in order to avoid the stinky smell from chicken (kavuchi smell).