Happy Mother's day to all my readers and blogging friends.
Walnut burfi is a healthy sweet prepared with walnuts, almonds, sugar, cardamom and little ghee. I did try this burfi for the very first time and was little sceptical about the taste but the outcome surprised me with amazing taste. The sugar level was perfect and it triggered us to eat more. I have already posted almond burfi and cashew burfi in my blog, please have a look at it and surprise your family with these healthy sweets.
Yields : 13 to 15 slices
- 3/4 cup - Walnuts
- 1/4 cup - Almonds
- 3/4 cup - Sugar
- 1/4 cup - Water
- 1 tbsp - Ghee
- 2 pinches - Cardamom powder
- Grease a plate / tray with little ghee and keep it ready. You will not have time to do later as everything happens very fast.
- Dry roast walnuts and almonds each separately until they are well roasted. Allow them to cool completely. Grind them to a smooth powder (mixture will be slightly gooey) without adding water and set it aside.
- Take a heavy bottom pan, add sugar, cardamom powder, 1/4 cup of water and bring to boil, wait until sugar dissolves. Simmer the stove to medium and continue boiling until you reach one string consistency. You can check the correct consistency by taking sugar syrup between the thumb and the index finger a single string will form.
- Now add ground mixture to the sugar syrup, mix well. Keep stirring continuously to avoid any lumps. Let it cook for 2 to 3 minutes and keep stirring.
- Add a tbsp of ghee and keep stirring continuously over medium flame until you see the mixture is getting less sticky and easy to stir. Continue stirring until the mixture is not sticky anymore. Consistency should be like mysore pak or as shown in the picture, switch off the stove.
- Pour this mixture in a greased plate and spread it with spatula. Allow them to cool for 7-8 minutes and then slice them into square or diamond shape. Remove from the plate and enjoy.
- Do not over roast or burn walnuts and almonds otherwise burfi
- Always keep the flame in medium or low.
- The overall process takes approximately 25 to 30 mins.
- You can check one string consistency by taking sugar syrup between the thumb and the index finger a single string will form.
- The consistency of walnut burfi will be same as mysore pak / almond burfi. Pour it immediately on greased plate and make slices after it cools down (while it is slightly warm).
- Ground walnut and almond mixture will look slightly gooey.