Kumbakonam kadappa is a flavorful side dish for idly and dosai made with split green gram (paasi paruppu) and potato in a mild coconut gravy. It is a famous dish in kumbakonam, Thanjavur district. I tried for very first time and came out very well. It become a favorite dish in our family now.
- 1/4 cup – Split green gram (paasi paruppu/moong dal)
- 2 nos – Potato
- 1 no – Onion (Big one, sliced lengthwise)
- 1/2 no – Tomato (chopped finely)
- 2 nos – Garlic (crushed)
- 4 nos – Green chilies
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
- Salt to taste
- Water as needed
- 2 tbsp – Coconut grated
- 1 tsp – Fennel seeds (perunjeeragam)
- 1/4 tsp – Poppy seeds (khus khus)
- 1 tbsp – Oil
- 1/2 tsp – Mustard seeds
- 1 no – Cinnamon
- 1 no – Bay leaf
- 1 no – Cardamom
- Curry leaves as needed
- Pressure cook split green gram and potatoes for up to 2 whistles. Mash well and keep it aside.
- Grind all the items given “for grinding” to a smooth paste and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, season with the items given for seasoning. Add Sliced onion, crushed garlic, green chilies along with required salt saute until onion turns transparent.
- Next add tomato fry for few seconds and then add 2 cups of water,salt and boil for 3 minutes. Add mashed split green gram and potatoes; mix well and bring to boil.
- Finally add ground coconut paste and cook for few minutes. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with idly or dosai.
- You can replace tomato with lemon juice (1/2 to 1 tsp). Add lemon juice at the time of garnishing.