Spring onions / Scallions are very low in calories. They also have essential vitamins such as vitamin C and K etc. I saw this simple spring onion pulao recipe in one of the TV shows and tried it for the first time. It was very simple to make but it was very flavorful.
- 1 cup – Basmati rice
- 1/2 cup – Chopped spring onions / scallion
- 1 no – Onion (chopped lengthwise thinly)
- 3 no – Garlic (chopped)
- 2 or 3 nos – Green chillies (slit open)
- 10 nos – Cashew nuts
- 1 tsp - Ghee
- Salt as needed
- 2 cups – Water
- 2 tbsp – Oil
- 1/2 stick – Cinnamon
- 2 nos – Cloves
- 1 no – Star anise
- 1/4 tsp – Fennel seeds
- 1/4 tsp – Cumin seeds
- 1 no – Bay leaf
- Heat ghee in a pan, add in chopped spring onions and saute until 3/4 done or shrinks into half. Set aside.
- Wash and soak basmati rice for 30 mins, set aside.
- Heat oil in a big pan, season with items given in the list for seasoning. Add cashew nuts, chopped garlic and green chillies, saute until they are slightly brown color.
- Add onion along with required salt and saute until translucent. Then add 2 cups of water and bring it to boil.
- Add washed rice and mix well. Cover with lid and reduce the flame to medium, cook until rice is tender or well cooked. Finally add sauteed spring onions and switch off the stove. Simple and yummy spring onion pulao is ready.
- You can also add spring onions while adding onions but it will change its beautiful green color.