Sundal is usually prepared during Indian festivals like Navarathri, Vinayagar chathurthi etc. It can also be prepared as a evening snack since it has lots of nutrition in it. Black channa sundal is an easy and healthy snack, that can be prepared real quick. Kids will enjoy this sundal for sure.
- 1 cup – Black channa / kondakadalai / black chick peas / kala channa
- 1 no – Onion (chopped finely)
- 2 tbsp – Coconut grated
- Salt as needed
- 1 tbsp – Oil
- 1/4 tsp – Mustard seeds / Kaduku
- 1/4 tsp – Split black gram / Ulunthu
- 1/4 tsp – Cumin seeds / Jeera
- 2 nos – Dry red chillies
- 4 or 5 nos – Fresh curry leaves
- 1 pinch – Asafoetida
- Wash and soak black channa for 6 hrs or over night. Pressure cook soaked black channa for up to 4 to 6 whistles (depends on the pressure cooker you use) or until well cooked.
- Heat oil in a pan, season with items given in the list for seasoning. Add onion along with little salt, saute until translucent.
- Then add cooked black channa along with needed salt, saute for 2 mins. Finally garnish with grated coconut and switch off the stove. Black channa sundal is ready.
- Do not over cook or under cook black channa to get a good taste of it.