Simple and crispy varuval or fry prepared with bitter gourd / pavakkai which goes well with white rice or any variety rice.
- 4 nos - Bitter gourd / pavakkai (medium sized)
- 3 tbsp - Gram flour / kadalai mavu
- 1 tbsp - Rice flour
- 1 tsp - Ginger garlic paste
- 1/4 tsp - Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp - Red chilli powder
- 2 tsp - Lemon juice
- Oil for deep frying
- Salt as needed
- Wash and slice bitter gourd into circles, remove seeds and set it aside.
- Take a wide bowl, add gram flour, rice flour, ginger garlic paste, turmeric, red chilli powder, lemon juice and salt with the sliced bitter gourds and mix everything well together. Marinate for 15 to 20 mins.
- Heat oil in a pan, deep fry marinated bitter gourd pieces until it turn golden brown color on both sides or well cooked. Use paper towel to remove the excess oil. Now bitter gourd fry is ready. Serve hot with sambar and rice.
- You can also shallow fry pavakkai in this recipe instead of deep frying.