Kovakkai / Tindora / Ivy gourd is a widely consumed vegetable, available in India through out the year. Ivy gourd is recommended for diabetic patients because it helps regulating blood sugar levels.
- 2 cups/ 1/4 kg - Kovakkai / Tindora / Ivy gourd (cut lengthwise thinly)
- 1 no – Onion (chopped lengthwise)
- 1 tsp – Red chili powder / Sambar powder
- Salt as needed
- 2 tbsp – Oil
- 1/4 tsp – Mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp – Split black gram
- 4 or 5 nos – Curry leaves
- 1 1/2 tbsp – Bengal gram (kadalai paruppu)
- 1/2 tsp – Split black gram (ulutham paruppu)
- 3 or 4 nos – Dry red chilies
- Take a wide bowl, add chopped kovakkai, red chili powder and required salt; mix well and marinate for 15 mins.
- Dry roast and grind items given for grinding to a fine powder.
- Heat oil in a pan, splutter mustard seeds, split black gram and curry leaves. Add onion saute till golden brown.
- Now add marinated kovakkai pieces and saute for 5 minutes. Sprinkle little water and cover with lid, reduce the flame and cook for 7 to 8 minutes. Check in between if there is enough water.
- Once kovakkai is done, add ground powder and mix well. Cook for another 2 to 3 minutes stirring continuously, so that masala powder will form a coating on the kovakkai and it will get roasted nicely. Spicy kovakkai is ready to serve.