Pumpkin dal which is very simple dal prepared with yellow pumpkin that goes well with white rice, appalam and pickle.
Serves 3 to 4 people
- 1/2 cup - Red gram / toor dal / thuvaram paruppu
- 1 cup - Pumpkin (finely chopped)
- 1 no - Onion (chopped finely)
- 1 no - Tomato (chopped finely)
- 2 cloves - garlic (chopped)
- 1 tsp - Ginger (chopped finely)
- 1/4 tsp - Turmeric powder
- 1/2 to 1 tsp - Red chilli powder
- 1 tbsp - Coriander leaves (chopped finely)
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp - Oil
- 1/4 tsp - Mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp - Split black gram / ulunthu
- 1/4 tsp - Cumin seeds
- 5 to 6 nos - Fresh curry leaves
- 2 pinches - Asafoetida
- Pressure cook red gram / toor dal in enough water along with little turmeric powder, garlic and a tsp of oil, up to 4 to 5 whistles or until well cooked. Keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, season with items given in the list for seasonings. Add onion and ginger, saute until translucent. Then add tomato and cook until mushy.
- Next add chopped pumpkin, turmeric powder, red chilli powder and salt, saute until raw smell of masala goes. Add 1 cup of water and bring it to boil, cook until pumpkin is 3/4 done.
- Add cooked red gram / toor dal and once again bring it to boil, cook until you reach desired consistency. Garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves and switch off the stove. Serve with hot rice and pickle.
- You can increase or decrease red chilli powder as per your spice level.