Samba sadham or samba rice is a flavourful rice dish prepared with freshly ground milagu seeraga podi / pepper cumin powder. Samba rice is offered as a prasadham in few anjaneyar temples. It is a traditional recipe, which is very simple and easy to make.
- 1 cup - Rice ( raw rice or boiled rice)
- 1 tsp - Milagu seeraga podi / pepper cumin powder
- Salt as needed
- 1 to 1 1/2 tbsp - Ghee
- 1/4 tsp - Mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp - Split black gram / ulunthu
- 1 or 2 nos - Green chillies (chopped)(or use as needed)
- 10 nos - Cashew nuts
- 5 or 6 nos - Fresh curry leaves
- Wash and soak rice for 30 mins. Pressure cook rice (if using raw rice 1:2 ratio and if using boiled rice 1:2 1/2) for 3 to 4 whistles or until well cooked. Spread the rice in a wide plate and allow them to cool completely.
- Heat oil in a pan, season with items given in the list for seasonings. Add cooked rice, milagu seeraga podi / pepper cumin powder and required salt, mix well and switch off the stove. Samba sadham is ready to serve.
- I used boiled rice for this recipe. But you can use raw rice or basmati rice. Do not mash the rice.
- Increase or decrease number of green chillies as per your spice level.
- I have already posted how to make milagu seeraga podi in large quantity.
- To prepare this milagu seeraga powder for one time use, take 1 tsp of peppercorns, cumin seeds and roast them separately then ground it to a coarse powder along with pinch of asafoetida.