Paruppu rasam is a popular side dish for rice that is prepared with red gram / toor dhal / thuvaram paruppu, tamarind and tomato. I have already posted paruppu rasam long back and this is another version of paruppu rasam introduced to me by a friend. Amazing flavor and yummy taste. Please do check my other rasam recipes:
Serves 3 to 4
- 1 no – Tomato (chopped)
- 1 no – Tamarind (gooseberry size)
- 1/2 cup – Red gram / thuvaram paruppu / toor dhal (cooked)
- 1/4 tsp – Red chilli powder or sambar powder
- 1/8 tsp – Turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp – Coriander leaves
- 2 pinches – Asafoetida / hing
- Salt to taste
For dry grinding:
- 1/4 tsp – Cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp – Peppercorns
- 1 tsp – Oil
- 1/4 tsp – Mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp – Fenugreek seeds
- 4 or 5 nos – Fresh curry leaves
- Soak tamarind in a cup of water and squeeze out the pulp, set it aside.
- Dry grind or crush cumin seeds and peppercorns to a coarse powder. Set it aside.
- Take a vessel, add tamarind water, chopped tomato, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, asafoetida, required salt and a cup of plain water, bring it to boil until raw smell goes.
- Then add cooked paruppu (toor dhal), mix well and allow them to cook for few minutes.
- Meanwhile heat oil in a pan, season with items given in the list for seasonings and followed by crushed cumin seeds and peppercorns, saute for few seconds.
- Transfer the seasonings to the boiling rasam and Switch off the stove. Finally garnish with coriander leaves and serve with hot rice and appalam.
- You may increase or decrease quantity of red chilli powder as per your spice level.