Gooseberry is called as Nellikai in Tamil and Amla in Hindi. Gooseberry is very rich in Vitamin C. It contains many minerals and vitamins like Calcium, Phosphorus, Iron, Carotene and Vitamin B Complex. I have already posted sweet gooseberry juice prepared with jaggery and now i am posting gooseberry juice which is salt and sour in taste.
Serves 4 to 5 people
- 3 nos - Gooseberry/ amla/ nellikai
- 1/4 inch - Ginger
- 4 or 5 nos - Curry leaves
- 1/2 no - Green chillies (optional)
- 2 tsp - Sugar (or add as needed)
- Salt to taste
- Water as needed
- Ice cubes as needed
- Wash and chop gooseberry in to small pieces, discard the seeds.
- Take a blender, add chopped gooseberry / nellikai, ginger piece, curry leaves, green chillies, salt and sugar, grind it to puree.
- Strain the juice and add required water ( i added 2 cups of water), serve with ice cubes.
- Green chillies are completely optional. If you prefer you can replace green chillies with pepper powder also.
- I prepared 4 glasses of juice out of this syrup.
- You can add more water if you feel the juice is bitter. Healthy things always tastes bitter.