Aloo palak curry is similar to palak paneer, prepared with fresh palak/ spinach and aloo / potato which goes well with hot chappathi, parathas or naan.
serves 3 to 4 people
- 1 bunch (around 2 cups) – Spinach / palak / pasalai keerai
- 3 medium - Potatoes
- 1 no – Onion
- 1 no – Tomato (medium sized)
- 1 tsp – Ginger garlic crushed
- 1 or 2 - Green chilies
- 1/4 tsp - Turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp - Garam masala powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp - Besan / gram flour
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp - Kasuri methi /dry methi leaves
- Salt to taste
- Few ginger julienne for garnishing
- 1 tbsp – Oil / butter
- 1small – Cinnamon
- 1 or 2 nos – Clove
- 1 small - Bay leaf
- 1 pinch - Asafoetida
- Wash and boil potatoes in a pressure cooker for 2 or 3 whistles or until well cooked. Once cooled, peel the potatoes and chop them into cubes. Keep it aside.
- Heat a vessel full of water and bring it to rolling boil. Now add cleaned spinach to it along with pinch of salt and sugar. Let it boil for a minute. Drain and wash with cold water to retain its green color. Squeeze the water completely from spinach and keep it side.
- Take a mixer grinder, add blanched spinach and green chilies, grind them to coarse paste. Set it aside.
- Heat oil or butter in a pan, season it with items given in the list for seasonings. Add chopped onion and crushed ginger garlic, saute until they are golden brown in color.
- Add tomato and saute until mushy. Now add turmeric powder and followed by spinach puree, mix well and allow them to cook for 5 to 10 seconds.
- Meanwhile mix besan / gram flour in 1/4 cup of water without any lumps. Pour that mixture to spinach gravy and mix well. Now add 1 cup of water and required salt to it, Cook them until you reach desire consistency. You can adjust the consistency by adding more or less water.
- Finally add cooked potatoes and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes or more. Sprinkle the garam masala powder and crushed kasuri methi, mix and cook for a minute. Aloo palak curry is ready to serve.
- Adding a pinch of sugar to spinach helps it to retain its bright green color.
- Increase or decrease number of green chillies as per your spice level.
- Kasuri methi is completely optional. i love the flavour in any curries.
- Gram flour / besan can be replaced with fresh cream.
Technorati Tags: Aloo palak curry,aloo palak gravy,aloo recipes,spinach recipes,palak recipes,potato recipes,North indian gravies,sidedish for roti and parathas.