Aval payasam is prepared with Aval / poha, milk, sugar, cashew nuts, raisins and cardamom. I added almonds puree in this recipe to make it rich and creamy. It tasted awesome. It is a quick and easy dessert for any party.
- 1/2 cup – Aval / Poha (thick or thin)
- 4 cup – Milk (i used 2% milk)
- 6 nos - Almonds
- 1/4 cup – Sugar ( or use as needed)
- 2 pinches – Cardamom powder
- 10 nos – Cashew nuts
- 10 nos – Raisins
- 2 tsp – Ghee
- Soak almonds in warm water for 1/2 hour. Remove almond skin and grind it along with 2 tbsp of warm milk to a fine puree. Set aside.
- Take a hard bottomed vessel, add milk and bring it to boil. Reduce the flame to low and allow them to cook until milk reduce to 3 cup or 3/4 in volume.
- Meanwhile heat ghee in a pan, roast cashew nuts and raisins until they are slightly golden brown in color. Set aside.
- In the same pan roast aval/poha until it turns into slight golden brown. Remove from the pan and add it to boiling milk.
- Then add enough sugar, cardamom powder, almond puree, mix well and bring it to boil. Cook until it reaches consistency of payasam. Switch off the stove and garnish with roasted cashew nuts and raisins. Serve cold and enjoy.
- Payasam gets thick after sometime. To bring it to right consistency you can add enough warm milk or cold milk before serving.
- Adding almond puree is optional but it tastes good if you add it.