Peanuts are roasted and ground along with other spices, added to the cooked rice. It is very simple and flavourful rice, best lunch box item for school going kids.
Serves 2 to 3 people
- 1 cup - Basmati rice
- 1/2 cup - Peanuts (raw)
- 2 1/2 tbsp - Coconut grated
- 1 tsp - Split black gram / ulunthu
- 1 tsp - White sesame seeds
- 2 or 3 nos - Dry red chillies
- 4 or 5 nos - Fresh curry leaves
- 1 tsp - Oil
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp - Sesame oil
- 1/4 tsp - Mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp - Spilt black gram / ulunthu
- 1 tsp - Bengal gram / kadalai paruppu
- 2 tbsp - Peanuts (raw)
- 5 or 6 nos - Curry leaves
- 2 pinches - Asafoetida
- Wash and pressure cook basmati rice in enough water along with little salt and few drops of oil, cook until well cooked and allow them to cool completely.
- Dry roast 1/2 cup of peanuts over medium flame until they are nicely roasted and slightly brown in color. Allow them to cool completely and remove the skin.
- In the same pan, add a tsp of oil and roast split black gram, sesame seeds, dry red chillies, curry leaves, grated coconut until they are slightly brown. Allow them to cool completely and grind it along with roasted peanuts to a coarse powder. Set it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, season with items given in the list for seasonings. Add cooked rice, peanut masala and required salt, mix well to coat rice with masala. Switch off the stove and serve hot with appalam or vadagam.
- Do not over cook rice, cook perfectly with enough water(1 :1 1/2 ratio) and using fork carefully remove cooked rice from the pressure cooker. Spread it over a plate and allow them to cool completely.
- Do not over roast peanuts and other spices, otherwise rice will get burnt smell.
- You can increase or decrease dry red chillies as per your spice level.