Simple thuvaiyal prepared with red gram / thuvaram paruppu / toor dhal which goes well with white rice, rasam and appalam.
- 1 handful/ 1/4 cup – Red gram / thuvaram paruppu / toor dhal
- 2 clove – Garlic
- 2 nos – Dry red chillies
- 3 tbsp – Coconut grated
- Salt as needed
- 2 tsp – Oil
- Heat a pan, dry roast thuvaram paruppu / toor dhal / red gram until they are slightly golden brown in color or until raw smell goes, set it aside.
- In the same pan, add oil followed by garlic, dry red chillies and grated coconut, saute for few seconds. Then add roasted red gram and once again saute for few seconds.
- Allow them to cool and transfer this mixture to a mixer grinder. Add required salt and grind it by sprinkling little water to a coarse paste. Simple thuvaiyal is ready and serve with white rice, rasam, appalam.
- Do not over roast red gram otherwise burnt smell will come from the thuvaiyal.
- Do not add too much water while grinding.