Appalam kuzhambu is a simple recipe prepared with appalam/papadum in tamarind gravy.
- 2 nos – Appalam / Papad (break into little pieces)
- 1 no – Tamarind (gooseberry size)
- 2 tsp – Red chilli powder / sambar powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 1/2 tbsp – Sesame oil
- 1/4 tsp – Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp – Bengal gram / channa dhal / Kadalai paruppu
- 2 pinches - Fenugreek seeds
- 2 nos – Dried red chillies
- 1 pinch – Asafoetida
- Soak tamarind in warm water and squeeze out the pulp, set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, season with items given for seasoning. Now add broken appalam pieces and fry.
- Add tamarind water, salt, sambar powder and allow it to thick. Now appalam kuzhambu is ready and serve hot with white rice and vadagam.
- You can add some jaggery at the end if you prefer.
- You can also use readymade vathakuzhambu powder instead of sambar powder.