Eggplant is very low in calories and fats but rich in soluble fiber content. It contains good amounts of many essential B-complex groups of vitamins such as vitamin B5, B6, B1,B3. Ennai kathirikkai kuzhambu is a simple and delicious recipe which you can make for your lunch.
- 5 or 6 nos – Brinjal / Egg plant / Kathirikkai
- 1 no – Tamarind ( gooseberry size)
- 1/4 tsp – Turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp - Coconut grated
- 1 tbsp – Bengal gram
- 2 tbsp - Coriander seeds / Dhania
- 1 tbsp – Split black gram / Ulunthu
- 4 or 5 nos – Dried red chillies (as needed)
- 2 1/2 tbsp – Sesame oil
- 1/4 tsp – Mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp – Fenugreek seeds
- 2 pinches – Asafoetida
- 4 or 5 nos – Curry leaves
- Soak tamarind in warm water and squeeze out the pulp. Set aside.
- Heat little oil in a pan, fry and grind items given in the list “for grinding” to a coarse powder. Set aside.
- Wash brinjals and remove their stems. Cut it as shown in the picture. Now stuff the brinjals with spice powder that we prepared. Keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, season with items given for seasoning.Then add stuffed brinjals, turmeric powder and salt. Cook over low flame stirring it now and then.
- When brinjals are half cooked, add tamarind extract, the remaining spice powder if any and salt if needed .Cook till the gravy thickens slightly and oil floats on the top. Ennai kathirikkai Kuzhambu is ready and serve hot with white rice, appalam.