Capsicum rice / green bell pepper rice is a spicy rice prepared with capsicum and freshly made masala. Capsicum rice is a best lunch box idea for all ages.
- 1 cup – Basmati rice / Raw rice
- 1 no – Capsicum / Green bell pepper (chop into big pieces)
- 1/4 tsp – Turmeric powder
- Salt as needed
- 1 1/2 tbsp – Coriander leaves for garnishing
- 2 tbsp – Coriander seeds
- 2 tbsp – Split black gram
- 2 tbsp – Peanuts
- 2 or 3 nos – Dried red chillies
- 2 tsp – Oil
- 1/4 tsp – Mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp – Cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp – Bengal gram
- 4 or 5 nos – Curry leaves
- 1 pinch – Asafoetida
- Heat a pan, dry roast red chillies, peanuts, coriander seeds and split black gram each separately until slightly golden brown. Allow them to cool and then grind them to a fine powder. Set aside.
- Wash and pressure cook rice for 2 or 3 whistles or until well cook. Let it cool.
- Heat oil in a pan, season with items given for seasoning. Add chopped capsicum, turmeric powder and required salt, saute until capsicum is 3/4 done.
- Add ground masala powder and saute for 2 to 3 mins. Finally add cooked rice and chopped coriander leaves, mix everything well together. Spicy capsicum rice is ready to serve.
- I always use raw rice for making any variety rice like tomato rice, capsicum rice, lemon rice etc.
- You can increase or decrease the number of red chillies according to your spice level.