Neer mor or spiced buttermilk is a best summer drink that helps to beat the heat. In our native place, during the month of April we celebrate chithirai thiruvizha, at that time we make neer mor, paanagam to serve devotees.
- 1/2 cup – Curd / yogurt
- 2 cups – Water
- 1 tsp – Ginger (finely chopped)
- 1 no – Green chilli (chopped finely)
- 1 tbsp – Coriander leaves (chopped finely)
- 1 tsp – Cumin seeds (crushed in palm)
- Salt as needed
- 1/2 tsp – Oil
- 1/4 tsp – Mustard seeds
- 5 or 6 nos – Fresh curry leaves
- 2 pinches – Asafoetida
- Take a mixing bowl, add in curd and water, beat it nicely with whisker or mathu ( traditional instrument) as shown in the picture until frothy.
- Now add in chopped ginger, green chillies, crushed cumin seeds, chopped coriander leaves along with required salt, mix everything well together and set aside.
- Finally season with items given in the list for seasoning and serve chilled.
- I used mathu to whisk buttermilk and it is the traditional way of doing it.
- You can increase or decrease ginger and green chillies according to your needs.
- If your curd is very sour than you have to add more water than specified in the ingredients list.