Sweet payasam prepared with cracked wheat/ godhumai, jaggery, milk and almond which gives rich flavour to this payasam.
Serves 5 to 6 people
- 1/2 cup - Cracked wheat / godhumai
- 1/2 cup - Jaggery (powdered)
- 2 cups - Milk (i used 2 %)
- 10 nos - Almonds
- 10 nos - Cashew nuts
- 10 nos - Raisin
- 1/8 tsp - Cardamom powder or 2 nos - Cardamom
- 1 tbsp - Ghee
- Soak almonds in warm water for 30 mins. Remove almond skin and grind it along with 2 tbsp of warm milk to a fine puree. Set it aside.
- Take a vessel, add powdered jaggery in a 1 1/4 cup of water and bring it to a boil, cook until jaggery dissolves completely. When it boils, remove from flame and strain to remove all the impurities. Allow them to cool and keep it aside.
- Take a hard bottomed vessel, add milk and bring it to boil. Reduce the flame to low and allow them to cook until milk reduce to 11/2 cup or 3/4 in volume. Keep it aside.
- Meanwhile heat ghee in a pan, roast cashew nuts and raisins until they are slightly golden brown in color. Set aside.
- In the same pan roast cracked wheat / godhumai until it turns into slight golden brown. Then add 1 1/2 cup of water or add enough water to it and pressure cook for up to 3 whistles or until they are well cooked. Allow them to cool.
- Take a vessel, add cooked cracked wheat, almond puree, boiled milk, cardamom powder, mix well and and bring it to boil. Cook until it reaches consistency of payasam.
- Finally add jaggery syrup and roasted cashew nuts and raisins. Switch off the stove immediately and serve cold or hot.
- After adding jaggery syrup immediately switch off the stove. Do not boil it again otherwise milk will get curdled.
- Payasam gets thick after sometime. To bring it to right consistency you can add enough warm milk or cold milk before serving.
- Adding almond puree is optional but it tastes good if you add it.
- To avoid curdling of milk, i keep jaggery syrup in refrigerator for a while and add it to the payasam.