Pori urundai/ puffed rice ball is a popular snack item which is prepared at the time of karthigai deepam. It simple and easy recipe to make. You can store them in airtight container and have it for a week or more. It is a kids friendly snack and they love it for sure.
- 5 cups – Pori / Puffed rice
- 1/2 cup – Jaggery (powdered)
- 2 pinches – Cardamom powder
- Water as needed
- Ghee to grease your hands
- Heat a pan, add jaggery powder and enough water to immerse, bring it to boil and cook until jaggery dissolves. Filter it to remove all impurities.
- In the same pan over medium flame, add jaggery water and cardamom powder, bring it back to rolling boil till it reaches a consistency of rolling ball.Keep water in a bowl and test the syrup by pouring a few drops in water. Jaggery should not get dissolved immediately and you should be able to form a soft ball as shown in the picture.
- When you reach the specified consistency, remove them immediately from the stove and add puffed rice slowly and mix it well till jaggery syrup is well coated on the puffed rice. The mixture should not get stick in your hands.If its too sticky, then you add more puffed rice to it and mix again.
- Grease both your hands with ghee and make a tight balls of desired size. Store in an airtight container and enjoy.
- Consistency of syrup is very important in this recipe. Syrup should not be too thick or too thin otherwise you cannot make perfect balls.
- You can increase or decrease quantity of puffed rice according to the availability of syrup.
- This recipe yields 15 or more balls. Again it depends on the size of the ball you are making.