Venthaya puli kuzhambu is prepared by adding ground masala powder in tamarind gravy. I got this recipe from my cousin and tried it so many times, every time it tasted awesome. It goes well with white rice and appalam.
- 5 nos – Sambar onion (chop it finely)
- 1 lemon sized – Tamarind
- 1/4 tsp – Turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp – Sesame oil
- 1/4 tsp – Mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp – Split black gram / Ulunthu
- 1/4 tsp – Fenugreek seeds / Venthayam
- 1/4 tsp – Peppercorns
- 1/2 tsp – Split black gram / Ulunthu
- 2 or 3 nos – Dry red chillies
- 5 nos – Curry leaves
- Soak tamarind in warm water and squeeze out the pulp. Mix this tamarind juice in a cup of water and set aside.
- Dry roast items given for grinding and grind them into fine powder. Now mix the ground powder in tamarind water along with required salt and turmeric powder.
- Heat oil in a pan, season with mustard seeds and split black gram. Add chopped small onion and saute until slightly golden brown.
- Now add tamarind masala water and bring it to boil. Allow them to cook for 10 mins or until gravy gets thick enough. Venthaya puli kuzhambu is ready and serve hot with white rice and appalam.
- If you want your kuzhambu to be little watery then add 1/2 cup extra water in this recipe.
- Sambar onion is completely optional. I prefer adding it because of its nice flavor.