Potato tehari / Aloo tehari is a very popular rice dish prepared in Pakistan and northern part of India, which will be served with raita.
- 1 cup - Basmati rice
- 2 nos - Potato (cubed)
- 1 no - Onion (sliced lengthwise)
- 1 tsp - Ginger (chopped finely)
- 1/4 tsp - Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp - Red chilli powder ( or add as needed)
- 1 1/2 tsp - Coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp - Garam masala powder
- 2 tbsp - Coriander leaves (chopped)
- Salt as needed
- 1 tbsp - Ghee / butter
- 1 tbsp - Oil
- 1 small piece - Cinnamon stick
- 1 no - Cardamom
- 1 no - Clove
- 1/2 tsp - Cumin seeds
- Wash and soak basmati rice in enough water for 30 mins, set it aside.
- Now heat oil in a pan, Season with items given for seasoning. Add chopped onion and ginger along with little salt and sauté till onion turn golden brown.
- Add potato and saute till it is slightly brown. Now add all the masala like turmeric powder, red chilli powder, garam masala powder and coriander powder, saute till raw smell goes.
- Add water ( 1 :2 ratio) and bring it to boil. Now add washed rice and mix well. Cover with lid and reduce the flame to medium, cook until rice is tender or well cooked. Finally sprinkle chopped coriander leaves and serve hot with raita.
- You can also pressure cook for up to 2 or 3 whistles or until well cooked. Only concern is the texture of rice, most of us want rice to be firm not massy. That’s why I follow the above step 4 in my process.
- If you prefer pressure cooking method, then use 1 : 1 1/2 ratio (rice : water).
- You can also use baby potato in this recipe instead of cubed potatoes.