Collard greens like all other greens (keerai) it is also packed with lot of nutrition. I came to know about this keerai from our family friends. When I tried for the first time I was little hesitant to take it but once I tasted I felt it was like “Agathi keerai” . Now it become one of our regular dishes.
- 1 bunch – Collard greens
- 1 no – Onion (chopped finely)
- 2 nos – Garlic (chopped finely)
- 2 pinches – Turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp – Coconut grated
- Salt as needed
- 1 tbsp – Oil
- 1/4 tsp – Mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp – Split black gram / Ulunthu
- 1/4 tsp – Cumin seeds
- 3 or 4 nos – Dry red chillies
- 1 pinch – Asafoetida
- Remove leaves from the stem and wash it well in cold water. Usually a bunch will have 8-10 leaves and the stalk in the center will be very hard, so we got to cut and discard those stalks. Chop leaves into fine pieces like shown in picture, set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, season with items given for seasoning. Add onion and garlic along with required salt and saute until golden brown.
- Now add collard greens along with turmeric powder and mix well. Cover with lid and cook on low flame for 3 to 4 mins or until well cooked. Sprinkle little water if needed.
- Once done switch off the stove and garnish with grated coconut. Serve hot with white rice and any puli kuzhambu.
- Collard greens take long time to cook than any other greens.
- Collard greens taste like “agathi keerai”, so initially you feel a new flavor from other greens.