Ragi puttu is a steam cooked south Indian dish. Ragi is rich in fibre and helps lower cholesterol level. Ragi is a best diet for weight loss, diabetes and also it helps to cool our body. You can make ragi kanji, ragi roti, ragi malt, ragi puttu with this precious millet. My mom makes this puttu often and is one of my favourite snack after school. Usually we prepare ragi puttu with sugar, but for a change this time i replaced sugar with karuppatti (panai vellam / palm jaggery). It tasted heavenly and nothing was left out. Here is the recipe for this healthy puttu.
- 2 cups – Ragi / Keppai / Kelvaraku mavu
- 1/4 cup (grated or powdered) – Karuppatti / Palm jaggery / Panai vellam (as needed)
- 3 tbsp – Coconut grated
- 1 tbsp – Ghee
- Salt as needed
- Water as needed
- Take a mixing bowl, add ragi flour and required salt to it, mix well. Sprinkle one tbsp of water at a time to the flour and mix gently.
- The flour should look slightly crumbly texture as shown above.Transfer this to an idly cooker / puttu maker and steam it for 10 to 15 mins or until well cooked. Allow them to cool.
- Meanwhile break palm jaggery into small pieces or grate them. Add it to the ragi puttu along with grated coconut and ghee, mix well everything together. Sweet ragi puttu is ready.
- You can increase or decrease palm jaggery as per you taste.
- You can use either idly cooker (with or without cloth) or puttu maker.
- I used homemade ragi flour which took 15 mins to steam cook.