Suraikai / bottle gourd is one of fresh vegetables commonly available in any farmer’s house. My mom used to prepare this curry very often and it is one of my favorite dish. It goes well with white rice, puli kuzhambu and rasam.
- 1 medium sized – Suraikai / bottle gourd (chopped finely)
- 1 no – Onion (chopped finely)
- 2 nos – Green chillies (chopped)
- 1/4 tsp – Turmeric powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp – Roasted bengal gram / pottukadalai
- 1/2 tsp – Fennel seeds
- Salt as needed
- 2 tsp – Oil
- 1/4 tsp – Mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp – Split black gram
- 1/4 tsp – Cumin seeds
- 4 or 5 nos – Curry leaves
- 1 pinches – Asafoetida
- Using mortar and pestle tool or mixer grinder, crush roasted bengal gram and fennel seeds to a fine powder. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, season with items given for seasoning. Add chopped onion, green chillies along with required salt, saute until transparent.
- Add chopped bottle gourd and saute for few minutes. At this stage add turmeric powder, cover with lid and cook for 5 mins or until 3/4 done.
- Finally add powdered roasted bengal gram and fennel seeds, mix everything well together. Sprinkle little water and cook until well cooked. Suraikai curry is ready and serve with white rice, puli kuzhambu and rasam.