- 2 nos – Tomato (Medium sized)
- 1 no – Onion
- 2 or 3 – Red chili (as needed)
- 6 to 7 – Curry leaves
- Salt as needed
- 1 tbsp – Oil
- 1/2 tsp – Mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp – Spilt black gram (ulunthhu/urad dhal)
- 4nos – Curry leaves
- Heat oil in a pan ,add curry leaves and red chili then add chopped onion and tomato .Sauté it till tomatoes are half cooked. Allow the mixture to cool.
- Grind the mixture in a mixer grinder along with required salt. If you are not sure about the chilies spice level, keep away 1 or 2 roasted chilies. After grinding check the taste and add the chilies if needed.
- Heat oil in a pan, splutter mustard, spilt black gram and curry leaves. Now transfer the ground items into the pan. When the oil separates from the chutney switch off the stove. Excess oil will help the chutney to stay fresh for a longer period.
- Now your tomato chutney is ready to serve. It goes well with dosai, idly and chappathi also.